One of the things that scare parents is that when their children are extremely young they tend to put foreign objects in their mouths and swallow them. This is very common when a child is two years old. Typically, the object will be swallowed and enters the stomach without any real complications. However, there are times when the object will get stuck in the windpipe. A child under six can be held upside down and have their back pat if this happens. Most of the time the object will come out. If a child has food stuck and they are over six, it is safe to perform the Heimlich maneuver. If these procedures fail, the child should immediately go to the hospital.
An extremely skilled pediatric surgeon who has seen his share of children get food stuck in their throat is Dr. Saad Saad. In his over forty years practicing medicine, he has helped thousands of children who have ended up choking on foreign objects. In the event a child must go to the emergency room, an x-ray can pinpoint whether the windpipe or food pipe contains the stuck object. The disadvantage to an x-ray is not every item can be seen through an x-ray. If the child displays the symptoms of a stuck object and the x-ray looks normal, then the next step is for the doctor to do a bronchoscopy or an esophagoscopy. Dr. Saad Saad has performed these procedures many times during his career.
Dr. Saad Saad points out that some of the most dangerous things in his career that have been swallowed by children are batteries and peanuts. He places batteries at the top of the danger list. After a child swallows a battery, there is the potential for the battery to leak acid, which can cause severe damage to a child’s throat or stomach. Parents should remain vigilant when their child is playing with an object that may contain any type of battery they could fit in their mouth. Dr. Saad added peanuts since the liquid in the human lung can cause a peanut to expand, which means the blockage becomes even more severe.
Dr. Saad has a few rules he believes a parent should abide by so there is less of a likelihood of their children getting objects stuck. He says kids under two years old should not be allowed to eat hot dogs because they could potentially clog the entire food pipe and children under the age of seven should not eat peanuts. Finally, he believes when children are playing, it is important to remain careful that they aren’t placing foreign objects in their mouths and try to be aware of the surrounding environment. Learn more : https://www.doximity.com/pub/saad-saad-md